Welcome to Day 2 of cooking Soups and Stews for 7 days. Today we are making my favorite Chinese Beef Stew. The beef is cooked till fork tender and is coated with the most perfect spicy and savory sauce; the potato and carrots are cooked till soft, soaking in all the sauce and beef fat. Get your rice ready because this dish is going to blow your mind!
Chinese Beef Stew is something I grew up eating. Every household has its variation on how to make this dish. This is my version of Chinese Beef Stew, and I highly recommend giving it a try. One of the essential condiments for my Chinese Beef Stew is Spicy Douban Sauce. My go-to brand is always Sichuan Pixian Bean Paste; it has an outstanding balance of all the spices and completes the dish.
Boneless Beef Short Ribs is the perfect cut of beef as it provides lots of meaty goodness and has a perfect balance of fat and meat. After simmering it for 2 hours, the beef becomes fork-tender, and it has absorbed in all the sauce. If you cannot find Boneless Beef Short Ribs, you can also substitute with any chuck cut.
1.5 lb of Boneless Beef Short Ribs, cut into 2-inch cubes
8 cloves of Garlic (peeled)
1 whole Onion sliced
1 whole Carrot cut into chunks
4 Potato cut into chunks
1.5 tbsp of Sichuan Doubanjiang
1.5 tbsp of Soy Sauce
1 tbsp of Dark Soy Sauce
1 cup of Chinese Cooking Wine
2 cups of Water
1 tbsp of Sugar
1.5 tsp of Five Spice Powder
1 Bay Leaf
1 small Cinnamon Stick
4 whole Chilli
- Drizzle in oil and pan-fry the beef on medium-high heat for 1-2 minutes on each side in a pot. Remove the meat once every side of the meat has been browned.
- Add in sliced Onion and Garlic and saute for 2-3 minutes or until onion is translucent.
- Add back in the beef and saute together for 1-2 minutes.
- Add in Sichuan Dobanjiang, soy sauce, dark soy sauce, sugar, and five-spice powder. Saute together for 2-3 minutes
- Add in Chinese cooking wine, water, bay leaf, cinnamon stick, and whole chili. Make sure that every piece of meat is coated in the sauce. Once it starts simmering, put the lid on, turn the heat to medium-low, and cook for 1 hour.
- After 1 hour, add in potato and carrots, stir to make sure that everything is soaked in the sauce, and cover and cook for another 45 minutes – 1 hour.
- After 45 minutes, the beef should be tender and easily break apart with a fork, and the veggies should be soft. Serve with a bowl of rice and ENJOY!