What if I told you that you could enjoy Dim Sum from the comfort of your own home with easy to find ingredients and a simple, fail-proof recipe? Shrimp Rice Noodle Rolls (Shrimp Cheung Fun) is my FAVORITE must-order dish whenever I have Dim Sum. After MANY (12x) trial and error, I have finally come up with the perfect ratio to guarantee success so you can have Shrimp Rice Noodle Rolls for your next brunch date! I will also be sharing the BEST part of this dish with you, which is the savory and sweet sauce that is drizzled all over the Cheung Fun.
Let’s start with the sauce; the sweet and savory sauce is the BEST part of the dish. I am using Oyster Sauce, Dark Soy Sauce, Soy Sauce, and Sesame Oil to get that perfect umami flavor that completes the dish! Lee Kum Kee is my go-to Oyster Sauce and Dark Soy Sauce brand that I’ve been using for the past ten years, and my grandma has been using it for the past 30 years! It is the ONLY oyster sauce that I would recommend, and I am super excited to be partnering up with them to show you this fun recipe today!
The key to making perfect Shrimp Rice Noodle Rolls is patience and balance. The pan must be flat and balanced to ensure that the rice rolls cook evenly. This can be done quickly by using a stackable steamer, which I will be giving away on Instagram! Patience is also crucial as you want the rice roll to the fully set, or else when you are rolling it up, the rice roll can easily break apart. It is like making rice flour crepes; practice makes perfect!
14 Prawns sliced in half
1 tsp of White Pepper
1 tsp of Salt
1 tbsp of Chinese Cooking Wine (optional)
2 tbsp of chopped Green Onion
Rice Rolls –
½ cup of Rice Flour
¼ cup of Tapioca Starch
1.5 Cup of Water
1 tsp of Salt
1 tbsp of Sugar
3 tbsp of Warm Water
- Marinate Prawns with white pepper, salt, and Chinese cooking wine. Set it aside for 5 minutes.
- Mix dark soy sauce, soy sauce, oyster sauce, sugar, warm water, and sesame oil to prepare the sauce.
- In a bowl, mix rice flour, tapioca starch, water, and salt. Make sure that there are no clumps, and always ensure everything is fully mixed before using.
- Prepare the steamer. Once the steamer is hot, lightly oil the pan with a brush and place it flat in the steamer.
- Add in ½ cup of the rice flour mixture and make sure that every part of the pan is covered in the mixture and the pan is entirely flat. Put the lid on and let it cook for 1 minute.
- After 1 minute, the rice roll should be slightly translucent. Sprinkle on the chopped green onion and lay down 4 pieces of prawn. Cover and let it steam for another 2-3 minutes.
- Remove the pan from the steamer and let it cool down for 2 minutes before rolling it up. Repeat the process and make sure to mix the rice flour mixture between every portion.
- Once the rice rolls are all completed, pour on the sauce and garnish with green onion.