Are you looking for an easy weeknight dinner ideas? What about my One-Pot EXTRA CREAMY Japanese Chicken Curry that you can make in less than 1 hour! This recipe isn’t your traditional Japanese curry recipe, but give this secret ingredient a try, and you will be so surprised at how much creamier the curry will be!
My fiance’s mom makes the BEST Japanese curry! I remember her making me Japanese curry the first time I met her, and I was so impressed with how creamy and savory it was. The vegetables are cooked till soft, and the chicken melts in with the curry. When she told me her secret ingredient was Coconut Milk, I was so surprised as typically coconut milk is found mostly in Thai Style curry. However, after giving it a try myself, I now ALWAYS add coconut milk to my Japanese curry. Trust me, next time you give this a go, pick up a can of coconut milk, and you will be blown away!
My EXTRA CREAMY Japanese Chicken Curry is perfect for those first time home cooks or super-busy people to cook at home. It takes 10 minutes to prepare the ingredients, and the rest is just letting it slowly simmer. I use to make curry ALL THE TIME when I was a university student because it preps well, and having it for lunch the next day is always such a treat!
I am using Japanese Curry Cubes today to save time, and also, these cubes have the perfect umami flavors. I always have packs of Japanese Curry Cubes at home, and some of my favorite brands are Vermont Curry, S&B Curry, and Kokumaro Curry.
2 lbs of Boneless Chicken Thigh
1 Onion sliced
1 Carrot chopped
2 Large Potatoes chopped
1 full pack of Curry Cubes
3 cups of Water
1 can of FULL FAT Coconut Milk
- Cut chicken thigh into bite-sized pieces.
- In a pot, drizzle in a little bit of oil and turn the heat up to medium-high. Once the pan is hot, add in the chicken and saute together for 2-3 minutes.
- Add in sliced onion and saute together for another 1-2 minutes.
- Add in chopped carrots and potato and pour in 3-4 cups of water. Bring it to a simmer, turn the heat down to medium-low and let it simmer for 30 minutes or until vegetables are soft.
- After 30 minutes pour in coconut milk and add in curry cubes, mix till all the curry cube is incorporated into the sauce, and let it cook uncovered on medium heat for 10 minutes.