The most challenging question to answer is, What is your favorite way to enjoy wontons?
Do you enjoy your wontons deep fry, boil, pan-fry, dipped in sauce, or serve in soup broth?
I always have them in the freezer because there are so many variations and cooking methods. Wontons are alot easier to make compared to dumplings and potstickers.
IN THIS BLOG POST, YOU CAN FIND 3 OF MY FAVORITE WAYS TO ENJOY WONTONS AND RECIPES THAT YOU NEED TO TRY!
Before we start, let’s talk about how to prepare wontons.
Customize the filling based on your own preference, but my go-to is always ground pork and freshly minced prawns. You can buy pre-minced prawns, but I like to hand-chopped them for the best texture.
Hand chopping takes an extra 5 minutes, but it is so worth it.
Another secret ingredient I use is dashi powder. Dashi Powder adds umami flavor, which gives your wontons restaurant-quality flavor.
MY GO-TO RECIPE:
- 2 lb of Prawns (chopped/minced)
- 1 lb of Ground pork or chicken
- 4 stalks of Green Onion (chopped)
- 2.5 tbsp of Ginger (grated)
- 1 tbsp of Dashi Stock or Chicken Powder
- 2 tsp of White Pepper
- 1 tbsp of Oyster Sauce (optional)
- 1.5 tbsp of Sesame Oil
- 1 Egg White
- 40 Wrappers
Mix chopped shrimp, ground meat, oyster sauce, ginger, white pepper, dashi powder, sesame oil, Egg white, and chopped green onion.
PRO-TIP: Take 1 tsp of the filling and microwave for 30 seconds to see if you need additional seasoning.
SHOP THE INGREDIENTS
Second, let’s talk about how to wrap wontons.
Take a little bit of the filling and place it in the middle.
Fold the wrapper in half and fold the top part down.
Add a little bit of water on the ends, and fold the two bottom corners together.
Lastly, how to store wontons.
Wontons can last in the freezer for up to 2 months.
First, to store these in the freezer, freeze to make sure they are not stuck together on parchment paperwork for 2 hours.
Once they harden, you can add them into ziplock bags. Ensure not to add the wontons into the bags until they are fully frozen to prevent them from sticking together.
3 OF MY FAVORITE WAYS TO ENJOY WONTONS
#1. Wonton Soup.
Wonton Soup is a perfect 10-minute meal that is delicious and easy to make at home. Make sure to ALWAYS prepare the soup and the wontons in two separate bowls to ensure that the stock stays pure.
- Fill a pot of water with water and turn the heat to medium-high. Once the water is simmering, add in the wontons.
- Cook for 4-5 minutes or until they start to float. Once it floats, cook for another 1 minute.
SHOP THE INGREDIENT LIST
- In a pot add in 3 cups of chicken stock or vegetable stock, 1 tbsp of soy sauce, 3 thin slices of ginger, and turn the heat to medium-high.
- Once the stock is simmering, add in 1 tbsp of fried shallots and 1 tsp of white pepper. Simmer for another 1-2 minutes.
- Add in the cooked wontons and garnish with cilantro and chopped green onion and enjoy!
#2. My personal favorite way to enjoy wontons is tossed in a spicy chili oil
Nothing I love more than spicy wontons. Tangy, spicy, and savory wontons take less than 10 minutes to make and are super addicting and delicious!
The most important ingredient is chili oil.
I drizzle my Homemade Chili Oil on EVERYTHING because I promise it is the best chili oil you will ever try!
Chili oil is super easy to make, and unlike other recipes, there will be no waste. I blend up all the garlic, spices, and herbs to take this chili oil to a whole other level
- 2 tbsp of Soy Sauce
- 3 tbsp of Black Vinegar
- 1 tbsp of Crushed Red Chilli Flakes
- 0.5 tbsp of Sesame Seeds
- 4 tbsp of Oil
- 1 tsp of Sichuan Pepper Corn (optional)
- 5 cloves of Garlic minced
- Green Onion
- 10 Wontons
SHOP THE INGREDIENT LIST
Prepare wontons by the boiling instructions.
- In a bowl, add in 2 tbsp of Soy sauce, 3 tbsp of Black Vinegar, 1.5 tbsp of Homemade Chilli Oil, Crushed Red Chilli Flakes, Sesame Seeds, and the top layer, minced garlic.
- Heat 4 tbsp of oil and optional, add in 1 tsp of Sichuan Peppercorn
- Pour hot oil over the garlic and make sure to strain the oil so the peppercorn doesn’t go in. let the oil sizzle and mix.
- Add in cooked wontons and mix. Serve with green onion and cilantro.
#3 A fun way is to deep-fry!
Deeping Frying is my favorite way to enjoy Wontons. The wrapper becomes super crisp, while the filling is still juicy. Deep-fried wontons are perfect as an appetizer to serve at dinner parties.
Deep Frying Instruction:
- In a pot, add in oil and turn the heat to medium-high. Once the oil becomes hot, gently add in the wontons.
- Fry for 4-5 minutes or until crispy and golden brown.