Welcome to Day 2 of my new series – 15 Minute Dinners for 15 Days! Today I am making one of the most famous street food dishes in Korea – Tteokbokki! This spicy, cheesy, slightly sweet chewy rice cake is the best way to start your weekend! This easy Tteokbokki recipe is delicious, simple, and there are so many variations depending on what is in your kitchen.
For those who never tried Tteokbokki, the texture is chewy and bouncy. Because of how glutenous it is, it is very good at absorbing flavor. You can add whatever you want into your Tteokbokki; some of my favorite toppings are fish cakes, boiled eggs, cheese, and ramen. I used Dashi stock today, but feel free to change it to whatever stock you prefer.
I was able to find Tteokbokki at my local Asian grocery market in the frozen section. However, they also sell Tteokbokki Instant Versions as well.
** IF YOU ARE USING FROZEN TTEOKBOKKI MAKE SURE, YOU RINSE THE RICE CAKES FIRST **
- ½ Onion sliced (optional)
- ¼ Cabbage sliced
- 2 Green Onion – 2-inch pieces
- 3 cups of Frozen Rice Cake
- 2 cups of Dashi Stock or Vegetable Stock
- 1.5-2 tbsp of Gochujang
- 1 tbsp of Soy Sauce
- 0.5 tbsp of Sugar
- 1 tablespoon minced Garlic
- 3 tsp of Korean Chilli Flakes
- 1 tablespoon Honey
- 1 tsp black pepper (optional)
- 1 cup of Mozzarella Cheese
- Turn the heat up to medium-high and add Gochujang, Sugar, Gochugaru, Honey, Garlic, black pepper, and Soy Sauce.
- Add a splash of dashi stock, Mix, and let it simmer for 2-3 minutes.
- Pour in the rest of the dashi stock, and bring to a simmer. Once simmering, add in cabbage and onion and let it simmer for 3 minutes.
- Add rice cake and cook for another 3 minutes; make sure that all the rice cake is soaked in the sauce.
- Finally garnish with green onion and mix for another 1 minute.
- Optional but highly recommend, add 1 cup of cheese and broil it in the oven till cheese is melted.