Welcome to Day 4 of cooking 15 Minute Dinner for 15 Days! Bacon & Kimchi Fried Rice is one of my go-to comfort foods. Out of all of my fried rice recipes, this 100% is the one that I crave and make the most. If you liked my Bacon & Kimchi Udon recipe you will also love this one as well. The sourness of the kimchi balances perfectly with the saltiness of the bacon. I always get maple bacon because I love how it taste with spicy food.
I know I say it is OPTIONAL, however, it really is HIGHLY RECOMMENDED that you fry an egg with this recipe. I stand by what my mom always says, “egg yolk makes everything better”. If you are vegetarian feel free to remove the bacon and use mushroom instead, and for those that don’t eat pork, kimchi pairs SUPER WELL with beef short ribs as well.
The key to perfect fried rice is using COLD, DAY OLD Rice. Please don’t use fresh rice as it will turn super mushy. For those that are lazy, order take out rice for $1 and fry up some Bacon & Kimchi Fried Rice the next day.
60 SECOND VIDEO TUTORIAL:
- 3 cups of cold, day-old rice
- 4 slices of Bacon or Pork Belly
- 1.5 cups of chopped Kimchi
- 1 Onion, chopped
- 2 Green onion, chopped
- 1.5 tablespoon Korean Red Chili Paste
- 2 tsp of Korean Chilli Flakes (Optional)
- 1 tbsp of Soy Sauce
- 1 tbsp of Sesame Oil
- 1 Large Egg (Optional)
- Cook the sliced bacon on medium-high heat for 2-3 minutes or until it gets crispy.
- Push the pork belly or bacon to the side, and using the oil from the pork belly or bacon, add in the chopped kimchi, onion, and white parts of the green onion. Statue together for 2-3 minutes or until fragrant.
- Add in rice, Korean red chili paste, Korean red chili flakes, soy sauce, sesame oil, and the rest of the green onion. Saute on high heat for another 2-3 minutes.
- Garnish with sesame seeds and serve with a fried egg