The most beautiful thing about food is that there is never “one way” or “right way” or doing it. Everyone has their interpretation of what tastes good, and it is always going to be different depending on your culture, childhood, preference, and much more! That is why I decided to start a new series called Fusion Friday, where I create fun recipes incorporating food from different cultures.
Fusion Food is something that I find represents me well; I grew up in Taiwan and moved to Canada in high school. When I moved to Canada, I started exploring food from all different cultures. Nothing is more fun than mixing recipes that I learned from recipes all around the world.
After posting a recipe on my channel, one of my favorite things is reading all the comments sharing how they make their dish. Whether that is something that learned from their parents, something that they tried in a recipe, or a secret tip that they swear by, there are always so many different ways of making a dish.
Making food is about having fun! I hope this series will also inspire you to test out random recipes and ingredients; you never know how the next master chef dish is created, right?
For the first episode, I will be making Cheesy Kimchi Bulgogi Quesadillas. I love pairing cheese with spicy food; there is something so satisfying about it. This dish was inspired by my visit to Universal Studios last year, where I tried kimchi tacos; I thought to myself, IF ONLY this had more melting cheese … so I went back home started playing around with different ingredients, and BAM, this dish is CHEFS KISS.
60 SECOND VIDEO TUTORIAL: https://bit.ly/37asPE8
2lb of Ground Beef
1 whole Onion (diced)
6 cloves of Garlic (minced)
4 Green Onion (chopped separated white and green)
4 tbsp of Soy Sauce
3 tbsp of Mirin
2 tbsp of Sesame Oil
1 tbsp of Korean Chilli Paste
1 tbsp of Honey
1 Tbsp of Sesame Seeds
1 tbsp of Black Pepper
1 tbsp if Dark Soy Sauce
1 cup of Kimchi
1 cup of Cheese
Tortilla (Serves 4-5)
- Mix soy sauce, mirin, sesame oil, Korean chili paste, black pepper, honey, and dark soy sauce. This will be the sauce.
- In a pan, drizzle in oil and turn the heat up to medium-high. Once the oil is hot, add in the beef and sautee together for 2-3 minutes.
- Next, add in diced onion, garlic, and white part of the green onion. Sautee together for 2-3 minutes or until onion is translucent.
- Finally, pour in the sauce, and saute for another 2-3 minutes before adding green onion and sesame seeds.
- Assemble the quesadillas to your liking with cheese, kimchi, and beef.