Welcome to Day 3 of me cooking my favorite Breakfast Dishes for FIVE Days! Today we will be making my EASY Chicken Congee that takes only 15 Minutes! My Easy Chicken Congee is one of the best ways to start your day. Extra crispy Chinese doughnut dipped in rich, savory chicken congee if you never tried congee, today is the day! The only thing preventing me from having congee is how long it takes, but GOOD NEWS! I got a SECRET TIP that will save you tons of time but still keeping that authentic taste. My 15 minute Easy Chicken Congee will bring you right back to Asia!
My secret tip for saving more than 30 minutes of your time is to blend half of the rice in a blender. Yes, you heard me correct, we are going to be blending the rice to make the perfect Easy Chicken Congee. Combining the rice instantly gives the congee that smooth consistency that you find at restaurants; it also helps infuse the chicken stock into the rice, making the dish ten times more flavourful. I only blend half as I still like to see some grain in the congee and provide extra texture.
Congee is perfect to have any time of the week, but my favorite is to have it for brunch on the weekend. My Easy Chicken Congee meal preps well, so you can also premake it the night before, and it can last in the fridge for 3 days. For those who are vegetarian, you can use shiitake mushroom and vegetable stock instead.
Give this secret hack a try, and let me know how you like it!
4 piece of Chicken Thigh into bite-sized pieces
2 tbsp of Soy Sauce
1 tsp of White Pepper
5 cups of Chicken Stock
2 slices of Ginger
2 cups of Cooked Rice
2 -inch of Ginger sliced into thin pieces
2 chopped Green Onion
2 Chinese Doughnut
- Marinate Chicken, Soy Sauce, and White Pepper together and set it aside when you prepare the rest of the ingredients.
- In a pot, add in 5 cups of Chicken Stock, 2 cups of cooked rice, and 2 thin slices of ginger. Let it simmer for 2-3 minutes.
- Add half of the rice and chicken stock mixture into a blender and blend until smooth.
- Remove the 2 thin slices of ginger from the stock and pour the congee back into the pot.
- Turn the heat up to medium-high and add in sliced ginger and marinated chicken and let it cook for 5-7 minutes or until chicken is fully cooked.
- Garnish with green onion and serve with a side of crispy Chinese donuts