Welcome to Day 13 of Cooking 20 Minute Dinner for 21 Days! Today we are making a savory, delicious one-pot dinner – Curry Beef Udon. This dish has everything you are looking for – rich, flavourful broth, tender slices of beef short ribs, sweetness from the onions, and chewy udon noodles. Curry Beef Udon is one of my favorite comfort foods that are not only tasty but also super easy to make at home. Be prepare to be blown away by one of the best udon dishes ever!
The first time I had Curry Beef Udon was in a food court in Taiwan, and it was love at first bite! Curry Udon is such an underrated recipe in western culture; however, it is a super popular way of eating curry in Japan. There is something about slurping up rich, savory curry broth that is just so satisfying!
Japanese Curry Roux is an essential ingredient for this recipe. Unlike the curry from other cultures, Japanese curry is slightly sweeter, thicker, and less spicy. I love to use pre-made curry packs since it speeds up the cooking time and is packed with umami flavor. I always have packs of Japanese Curry Cubes at home, and some of my favorite brands are Vermont Curry, S&B Curry, and Kokumaro Curry.
I like to use thin slices of beef short ribs for this recipe since it cooks quickly and is packed with beefy flavoury. I found these are my local Asian supermarket under the hot pot section. If you do not live near an asain grocery store, you can freeze the beef ahead of time for 1 hour and slice it instead.
½ lb thinly sliced beef short ribs
½ Onion sliced
2 packs of Frozen Udon
½ pack of the Japanese Curry Pack
4 cup of Dashi Stock or Beef Stock
1 tsp of Black Pepper
- Pour hot water over the frozen udon and let it sit for 3 minutes or until the udon is separated. Drain and set aside
- In a pan, drizzle in oil and turn the heat up to medium-high. Add in thinly sliced onion and statue for 2-3 minutes.
- Add in beef short ribs and sautee for 2-3 minutes before pouring in dashi stock or beef stock.
- Bring it to a simmer and add in 1 pack of curry pack and black pepper. Let it simmer for 2-3 minutes.
- Add in drained udon and cook for another 2-3 minutes. Serve with green onion on top.