Welcome to Day 8 of Cooking 15 Minute Dinners for 15 Days! If you have ever been to HK BBQ Restaurants, you will know that Scallion & Ginger oil is the best thing to put on your Chicken and Rice. Today I will be making an accessible version of my Chicken & Rice with Scallion-Ginger Oil recipe that will blow your mind! I often make Scallion-Ginger oil to pair with plain noodles or rice or even on top of vegetables. It is super easy to recreate and can store in the fridge for up to a week.
There is so many delicious Chicken & Rice recipe around the world, but this is the one I grew up eating. Whenever my family ordered Chicken & Rice with Scallion-Ginger Oil, we would always ask for extra oil, and that night my mom would prepare extra rice and home because we would all be fighting for the oil. If you cook for someone who has never tried Asian food before, this is a great introductory food to share with them.
I am using a whole leg today, but you can use any part of the chicken. Quick tip, a great way to check if your chicken is cooked is once you remove if you poke the chicken and clear liquid comes out it is cooked, if the fluid is pinkish, poach the chicken longer.
60 SECONDS VIDEO TUTORIAL:
- 1 piece of chicken leg
- 3 thin slices of Ginger
- 1 stalk of Green Onion
- 1 tsp of Salt
- 2 stalk of chopped Green Onion
- 1 tbsp of freshly grated Ginger
- 2 cloves of Garlic grated
- ½ tbsp of Salt
- 3-5 tbsp of Sesame Oil
- In a pot, add in Ginger, Green onion, and Salt. Turn the heat to high, and once the water is simmering, add in the chicken leg. Let the chicken leg cook on HIGH heat for 7-8 minutes, depending on the thigh’s size.
- After 7-8 minutes, turn the heat down to LOW, put the lid on, and let it cook for another 7-8 minutes.
- In a bowl, mix garlic, ginger, scallion, and salt.
- Heat 3-5 tbsp of Sesame Oil. Once the oil is hot, drizzle the oil in the bowl and mix everything.
- Shred the meat and serve on top of hot rice. Drizzle scallion-ginger oil over the chicken and rice. Optional, but I like to garnish with cilantro and crispy shallots.