Welcome to Day 19 of cooking Street Food for 21 days. Today I am making my family secret’s chili oil. This chili oil is honestly hands down the best chili oil out there, and I promise it is better than any store-bought ones. No MSG and still better? Yes, you need to try it today.
What is best about this recipe is that it doesn’t waste anything. Alot of the other chili oil recipes out there always tell you to toss away the garlic and the peppers, but why not blend it all up for a jar of flavor heaven? I promise there will be no grainiess, and the longer you leave the chili oil, the better it gets as the oil just sits in the garlic chili species!
This recipe makes two medium jars of chili oil, and it can last in the fridge for up to 3 months. I use this for every single one of my dipping sauce, whether for potstickers, wontons, or even noodles. Over the next few weeks, I will be incorporating this chili oil in a lot of my recipes, so stay tuned!
Check out my Wonton Noodle Soup recipe for these homemade wontons. Once you prepare these two ingredients, you will have 10 minutes of dinner ready for the rest of the month!
60 SECONDS VIDEO TUTORIAL: https://bit.ly/3o5Poje
Chilli Oil Recipe:
20 cloves of chopped Garlic
4 tbsp of Sichuan Peppercorn
20 whole Red Chilli
2 tbsp of Red Chilli Flakes
4 cups of Oil (I use grapeseed oil)
2.5 tbsp of Korean Chilli Flakes
2 piece of Bay Leaf
2 Five Star
2 Tbsp of Salt
2 tbsp of Chinese Black Vinegar
1 tbsp of Soy Sauce
2 tbsp of Chilli Oil
Garnish with sesame seeds, cilantro, green onion, and crispy shallots
- Toast Sichuan Peppercorns, Red Chilli Flakes, and Whole Red Chilli in a pan at medium-high heat for 3-5 minutes or until fragrant
- In a pan, heat up 4 cups of oil while infusing the oil with Bay Leaf and Five Star
- Use a large glass container, add in the toasted spiced, and garlic.
- Once the oil is hot, pour the oil over the toasted spices and garlic and add 2 tbsp of salt. Mix and let it rest for 30 minutes.
- Remove Bay Leaf and Five Star before blending it in a high-speed blender for 1-2 minutes.
- Pour it into a clean jar, and this can store in the fridge for up to 3 months