Welcome to Day 5 of cooking Soups and Stews for 7 Days! The weather got colder the past few days, and I was instantly craving HK Style Oxtail Borscht Soup. A Cha Chaan Teng (HR Style Cafe) Classic that is hearty, healthy and super delicious soup is a perfect way to start the week!
HK Style Oxtail Borscht Soup uses various vegetables such as cabbage, tomatoes, celery, carrots, onions, and much more! It is one of the best ways to get vegetables into your system, and it also stores well in the freezer. I love to meal prep HK Style Oxtail Soup at the start of the week, so I can have soup to drink for the next few days.
I am using Oxtail today as it gives alot of flavor, but you can also use other stewing beef. The important thing is to pan fry and brown the meat before cooking to release maximum flavor. If you have an instant pot or a pressure cooker, you can also follow the same steps and ingredients to create this delicious HK Style Oxtail Borscht Soup even faster!
2lb of Oxtail
5 cloves of Garlic
1 Onion chopped
4 stalks of Celery chopped
1 whole Carrot diced
4 potatoes chopped
½ cabbage chopped
3 tomato chopped
3 potato chopped
1 tbsp of Italian Seasoning
2.5 tbsp of Tomato paste
3 Bay Leaf
2 red Chilli
5 cups of Chicken Stock
1 tbsp of Salt
1 tbsp of Black Pepper
- In a pan, drizzle in oil and add in oxtail. Brown the beef for 2-3 minutes on each side and set aside
- Add in chopped onion and garlic and saute for 2-3 minutes or until onion is translucent.
- Add in celery and carrots and saute for another 1-2 minutes.
- Add in tomato and saute till tomato is soft around 2-3 minutes.
- Add in potato and saute for 1-2 minutes.
- Add back in the beef and layer the cabbage on top.
- Add in 2.5 tbsp of tomato paste, 2 red chilies and mix everything—season with 1 tbsp of Italian seasoning, salt, and black pepper.
- Pour in 5 cups of chicken stock and simmer for 1.5 hours or until beef is soft.
Steve Shee says