The most requested recipe is finally here! Delicious Instant Pot Pho – Vietnamese Beef Noodle Soup that will blow your mind! I make this recipe ALL THE TIME, and with an instant pot, it takes less than 1.5 hours, and you can have a homemade delicious beef broth that tastes so much better than takeout! Want to know the best part of homemade pho? Unlimited soup, and no one will judge you if you have too many meatballs like me!
I worked at a nail salon after high school for 3 months as a receptionist, and I remember all the ladies having hot bowls of pho every day. Before I quit, they promised me they would take me grocery shopping and show me how to create their delicious recipes at home. I was so surprised at how many variations there are of pho. Every household had its version and secret recipe. After a few trials and errors, this is my version of homemade Instant Pot Pho and soon will be yours too!
There are so many different herbs you can add to your pho. When I visited Vietnam, I noticed that every stall has its version. Western pho is alot of “meatier” while pho in Vietnam was more herb focused. Fun Fact, Did you know that pho is often eaten at breakfast in Vietnam? When I was there for a full month, I had it every single day for breakfast! What is a better way to start your day than a hot bowl of Vietnamese Beef Noodle Soup?
I am using thinly sliced Beef Sirloin Steak today. The trick to cutting it extra thin is putting the beef in the freezer for 5 minutes before cutting. For spices, I like to put my spice bag together. However, you can also visit your local Vietnamese supermarket, and they sell pre-packaged pho spice packets as well.
Ingredients (6 Bowls)
2.5lb of Beef Bones
5 Thin Slices of Ginger
1 tbsp of Salt
1 tbsp of Sugar or Rock Sugar
15 Cups of Water
Thin Slices of Beef
Beef Meat Balls
- Add beef bones to a pot and fill with water until all the beef bone is covered. Turn the heat to medium-high and let it simmer for 5 minutes. After 5 minutes, rinse the bone clean, making sure to remove all the impurities from the bone, drain, and set aside.
- In a pan, toast all the spices for 2-3 minutes or until fragrant. Set aside
- Cut the onion in half and toast of medium-high heat and ginger until charred or fragrant, takes 3-4 minutes.
- Place ginger and all the species in a spice bag, so it’s easier to fish out after.
- Add beef bones, spice bag, onion, water, fish sauce, salt, and rock sugar in the instant pot. Set the instant pot to high-pressure cook and cook for 1 hour
- After 1 hour, add in beef balls, turn the setting to saute, and cook for another 10 minutes or until beef balls are cooked. Prepare noodles, garnish, and toppings in the meantime.
- Start with drained rice noodles, add on thinly sliced beef, and garnish with green onion and cilantro. Pour the hot soup all over the soup and serve with all your favorite garnishments!