Welcome to Day 10 of Cooking 20 Minute Dinner for 21 Days! The long-awaited, highly requested recipe is finally here – Black Pepper Beef and Broccoli. My Beef and Broccoli are so much better than takeout, and I guarantee that the beef will be tender every time. The savory and slightly spicy sauce pairs perfectly with tender beef. Make sure to prepare yourself bowls and bowls of rice, because this dish is a rice killer!
One of the main reasons people don’t like cooking beef at home is that beef is super easy to become tough when not cooked correctly. Here are a few secrets to SUPER TENDER Beef:
- The first one is baking soda. I got this secret from a good friend who works at a Chinese restaurant; it is honestly a game-changer. No more eating tough beef at home, and hello to juicy, tender, silky beef!
- The second tip is cutting against the grain and diagonally. Always cut against the grain and sideways to get thin slices. With this tip, it doesn’t matter what type of steak you get; it will turn out perfect every time!
- The final tip is to freeze the beef for 10 minutes before you cut it. This will make it 100x easier to slice the meat.
My Black Pepper Beef and Broccoli is a great healthy dinner recipe that also tastes just as amazing the next day. I love to make extra and pack it for lunch for the next few days. If you don’t like rice, this also tastes amazing as a noodle stir fry; just double the sauce for an extra saucy Black Pepper Beef and Broccoli Chow Mein!
Another secret tip I have to prevent the Broccoli from getting soggy is to blanch it with hot water before cooking. This will help “lock” the color and also prevent overcooking the Broccoli. After blanching it with hot water, if you are cooking a large batch, soak it in ice-cold water until you are ready to cook.
1.5 lb of Beef (Any tender cut you like, sirloin, new york, rib-eye)
2.5 cups of Broccoli
1 Egg White
1 tsp of Baking Soda
3 tbsp of Corn Starch
5 cloves of Garlic minced
2 tbsp of Oyster Sauce
2 tbsp of Soy Sauce
1 tbsp of Dark Soy Sauce
½ – 1 tbsp of Black Pepper (depend on how “spicy” you like it”
2.5 tbsp of Sugar
½ tbsp of Rice Vinegar
- Thinly slice up the beef based on the above tips and marinate the beef with 1 egg white, 1tsp of Baking Soda, and 1.5 tbsp of Corn Starch. Let it rest for 5 minutes while you prepare the rest of the ingredients.
- Mix soy sauce, oyster sauce, sugar, rice vinegar, black pepper, Garlic and dark soy sauce until sugar is dissolved. Mix 1.5 tbsp of Corn starch with 3 tbsp of water and pour it into the sauce, whisk till everything is combined.
- Drizzle hot water all over the broccoli and set aside
- In a pan, add oil and turn the heat up to medium-high. Once the pan is hot, add in the beef and set it for 30 seconds without moving it. Next, saute the meat for 2-3 minutes
- Add in the broccoli and saute together for 2-3 minutes.
- Pour in the sauce and cook on high heat for 1-2 minutes.