Welcome to Day 10 of Cooking 20 Minute Dinner for 21 Days! The long-awaited, highly requested recipe is finally here – Black Pepper Beef and Broccoli. My Beef and Broccoli are so much better than takeout, and I guarantee that the beef will be tender every time. The savory and slightly spicy sauce pairs perfectly with tender beef. Make sure to prepare yourself bowls and bowls of rice, because this dish is a rice killer!
One of the main reasons people don’t like cooking beef at home is that beef is super easy to become tough when not cooked correctly. Here are a few secrets to SUPER TENDER Beef:
- The first one is baking soda. I got this secret from a good friend who works at a Chinese restaurant; it is honestly a game-changer. No more eating tough beef at home, and hello to juicy, tender, silky beef!
- The second tip is cutting against the grain and diagonally. Always cut against the grain and sideways to get thin slices. With this tip, it doesn’t matter what type of steak you get; it will turn out perfect every time!
- The final tip is to freeze the beef for 10 minutes before you cut it. This will make it 100x easier to slice the meat.
My Black Pepper Beef and Broccoli is a great healthy dinner recipe that also tastes just as amazing the next day. I love to make extra and pack it for lunch for the next few days. If you don’t like rice, this also tastes amazing as a noodle stir fry; just double the sauce for an extra saucy Black Pepper Beef and Broccoli Chow Mein!
Another secret tip I have to prevent the Broccoli from getting soggy is to blanch it with hot water before cooking. This will help “lock” the color and also prevent overcooking the Broccoli. After blanching it with hot water, if you are cooking a large batch, soak it in ice-cold water until you are ready to cook.
1.5 lb of Beef (Any tender cut you like, sirloin, new york, rib-eye)
2.5 cups of Broccoli
1 Egg White
1 tsp of Baking Soda
3 tbsp of Corn Starch
5 cloves of Garlic minced
2 tbsp of Oyster Sauce
2 tbsp of Soy Sauce
1 tbsp of Dark Soy Sauce
½ – 1 tbsp of Black Pepper (depend on how “spicy” you like it”
2.5 tbsp of Sugar
½ tbsp of Rice Vinegar
- Thinly slice up the beef based on the above tips and marinate the beef with 1 egg white, 1tsp of Baking Soda, and 1.5 tbsp of Corn Starch. Let it rest for 5 minutes while you prepare the rest of the ingredients.
- Mix soy sauce, oyster sauce, sugar, rice vinegar, black pepper, Garlic and dark soy sauce until sugar is dissolved. Mix 1.5 tbsp of Corn starch with 3 tbsp of water and pour it into the sauce, whisk till everything is combined.
- Drizzle hot water all over the broccoli and set aside
- In a pan, add oil and turn the heat up to medium-high. Once the pan is hot, add in the beef and set it for 30 seconds without moving it. Next, saute the meat for 2-3 minutes
- Add in the broccoli and saute together for 2-3 minutes.
- Pour in the sauce and cook on high heat for 1-2 minutes.
Sunny H. says
I never knew I could make the meat so tender! And the flavor was awesome, thanks for mastering this basic recipe and sharing to us.
Edit suggestion: when do I put the garlic in?
Pope Nick says
This was terrific! It could have used a touch less sugar or maybe it needed more pepper slight adjustment somewhere to be made but I really enjoyed!
I absolutely LOVE this dish! I see what you mean by the baking soda and blanching! Thank you for these tips! I just recently saw your Reels popping up on my Instagram feed and I have saved so many of them already. I am a mom of 2 and a PhD student… with Covid19 and both my husband & I working from home & with kids underfoot doing their online classes, it seems I am busier than ever (and interrupted through my day much more). Your dishes through your 21 day series have been a game-changer for me. I feel like I can prep ahead of time, cook when I’m in between something, and relax for amazing home-cooked meals with my family after our crazy on-line days. This time to connect is so important. Thank you for making your delicious meals accessible to busy mom’s like me! My kids are hearing me say “Look at that!” with everything yummy that I make! So easy! Thank you!
My fiance and I made this for dinner tonight and LOVED it. It is super simple and super quick. It is definitely going on rotation at our house.
Making this today for my kiddos and myself. Love your site and thank you for sharing your easy recipes!! I’ve tried 3 now and every one of them has been sooo good!
As always, your recipes do not disappoint!! Made this quick and delicious family dinner and everyone was happy as a clam! Thanks again!